MG Motor is all set and ready to make its striking entry in the Indian market and the Hector is its first bet. MG Motor has already showcased its ‘i-smart’ technology which is potentially capable of enabling the Hector as a ‘Connected Car’. Now, MG Motor unveiled the MG Hector officially on May 15. The expected price of the MG Hector will start from Rs. 14.5 lakh and the correct figure will be out at the time of launch. However, mileage details of the MG Hector are out now.
MG Hector SUV Features –
- 10.4-inch touch-screen head unit similar to what you see in a Tesla
- Harman-infinity speakers to produce the sound
- iSmart Next Gen system
- 7-inch MID
- 360-degree park
- Electronic parking brake
- Panoramic sunroof
- Tyre pressure monitoring system
- Power-adjustable driver seat
- LED DRL and headlights
MG Hector SUV Safety Features –
- 2-Airbags, ABS/EBD/BA, ESP/TCS/VSM/HHC, all four disc brakes and ISOFIX child seat mounts as Standard in all variants
- 6-Airbags in the top variant
Infotainment System –
The infotainment system is the key feature of the MG Hector. MG Motor claims that the Hector will be the first SUV in India to feature ‘Connected Car’ features. MG Motor has partnered with giant global technology partners like Microsoft, Adobe, Unlimit, SAP, Cisco, Gaana, TomTom and Nuance to develop iSmart Next Gen.
Hector features a 10.4-inch infotainment head unit which is powered by the iSmart Next Gen. The display offers a vertical interface to the driver and it is controllable via touch and voice command. Moreover, it can withstand extreme climatic condition of India. iSmart Next Gen is embedded with M2M sim card which allows the system to stay connected to the internet independently.
MG Motor iSmart Next Gen Features available in India –
- Connected Mobility solution for iSmart Next Gen is IPV6 ready for 5G which is developed by Unlimit in collaboration with Cisco and Airtel
- MG Hector will receive real-time software, entertainment content and application OTA updates
- Voice command is specifically designed for Indian accent which is built on Artificial Intelligence and Machine learning which enables the system to adapt itself to the inputs and enhance the experience with time
- After activating the voice command with ‘Hello MG’, the user can use 100 commands which include opening and closing of windows and sunroof, ac control, navigation etc.
- iSMART comes with pre-loaded apps and entertainment contents
- TomTom navigation system helps the user with real-time navigation and it receives regular updates of maps, routes and location through its IQ maps features
- iSmart Next Gen on the Hector gets a GAANA premium account for seamless music experience and Accuweather to forecast the weather updates
- The iSMART Next Gen gets support from the iSMART mobile App which scans the car on opening the app each time
- Scanned information includes the location of the car, tyre pressure and if the doors are locked or not
- Moreover, the user can lock/unlock the car, turn the ignition ON/OFF and switch AC On/OFF remotely via the mobile app
Safety & Security Features of the iSmart Next Gen on the MG Hector –
- With geo-fence, user can bound the vehicle to roam inside the pre-defined range only
- The whole iSmart system is hosted on the Microsoft Azure cloud to ensure the security and privacy of the user’s data
- In case of emergency, eCall emergency response connects the user to the Pulse Hub which is a customer management service centre
- If the airbag deploys, the Pulse Hub and other registered numbers receive an automatic message from the iSmart. A series of emergency actions get activated instantly to aid the emergency situation
- Also, a feature called iCall connects the user directly to the Pulse Club for a Host of information with just a tap of a button on the head-unit screen
“The integration of the internet with cars opens up a gamut of features that can ensure a seamless and updated ownership experience for MG customers in India. With an embedded SIM card and OTA, the MG Hector promises to do a lot more over time with constantly-expanding capabilities, to create a seamless driving experience, throughout the life of the car,” said Rajeev Chaba, President & Managing Director, MG Motor India. “Furthermore, with the advent of 5G connectivity in India, MG cars will have the potential to add new, breakthrough features to further enrich the car driving experience,” Chaba added.
MG Hector SUV Exterior in India –
MG Hector is a big-bulky and muscular SUV ready to roll the Indian roads. In comparison to the Tata Harrier, Jeep Compass and Hyundai Creta, the MG Hector is the biggest SUV in dimensions. Length of the MG Hector measures 4655mm while the width and height are 1835mm and 1760mm respectively. The front end features a chunky hexagonal grille with big MG logo in the centre, slim LED DRL, LED headlights and foglamps with C shaped chrome surrounding. Side profile compliments the overall big SUV look. However, the wheels appear to be smaller to compliment the higher stance of the SUV. On the rear end, the Hector features a spoiler and LED taillights. A reflector connects both the taillights. Faux skid plated on both front and rear end compliments the SUV appearance.
MG Hector Interior in India –
Interior of the MG Hector is the place where it shines completely. The main centre of the attraction is the 10.4-inch touchscreen infotainment system as soon as you get into the cabin. Moreover, seats are big to hold any kind of person sitting in. Also, Rear seats feature 60:40 split fold and 3 head restraints. Moreover, the panoramic sunroof makes the cabin feel airy.
MG Hector SUV Specifications & Mileage –
Hector gets two engine options. Diesel is the 2.0L multijet motor which produces 172 PS of power and 350 Nm of torque while the Petrol is the 1.5L turbocharged motor which produces 142PS of power and 250 Nm of torque. Moreover, the Hector gets an optional 48-volt battery mild-hybrid variant which offers 20 Nm extra torque as well as 12% more fuel-efficiency counterpart to its standard petrol variant. Also, it features regenerative braking to recharge the battery.
MG Hector gets both manual and automatic transmission options. Both the petrol and diesel engine get the 6-speed manual transmission option. While the petrol mild-hybrid variant has an option of 6-speed DCT automatic transmission with paddle shifters but there is no option of an automatic transmission with the diesel engine option and that’s where the Hyundai Creta has its dominance. Also, there will be no option for 4×4.
EDIT – Petrol Hybrid will be available with a 6-speed manual transmission only.
Currently, there are no official figures out by MG Motor. However, the mileage of the MG Hector will be somewhere around 19kmpl for the diesel and 14kmpl for the petrol.
Petrol manual – 14.16kmpl
Petrol AT(DCT) – 13.96kmpl
Diesel – 17.41kmpl
MG Hector Launch Date in India –
MG Motor unveiled the MG Hector on May 15. The launch date of the MG Hector will be in the month of June 2019.
EDIT – MG Hector is now officially unveiled in India. Read more at – MG Hector India
MG Hector Price in India –
At the launch, the price of the MG Hector base trim will start from Rs. 14.5 lakh(ex-showroom, Delhi). Price of the MG Hector top trim will cost around Rs. 18.5 lakh.
In conclusion, it will make a very strong entry in the SUV segment. Also, Tata Harrier, Jeep Compass and the Hyundai Creta will receive a tough competition from the MG Hector but the price will be the deciding factor. MG Motor is working hard on establishing great customer experience. The correct price of the Hector will definitely help the MG Motor to get traction in the Indian market.
MG Hector Colours in India –
It will be available in five colours – Candy White, Aurora Silver, Starry Black, Burgandy Red and Glaze Red.